Friday, August 14, 2009

So it begins

I want to be upfront and state that this is a video game blog but with a twist. What I mean to do with this blog is examine story in video games, mainly as the weakest part of games that are played and made today. And though I haven't read many video game blogs I have a feeling my twist on the topic is newish.

Now for a more in-depth reason I felt compelled to start this blog. I have had a general dissatisfaction with games lately. Beginning around the time I entered college (2005) I just didn't enjoy them as much as I usually did. I came to realize that as graphics, sound and game-play improved the story-telling techniques failed to keep pace or got worst. Things like content, pacing, character, genre, delivery and voice-acting were awful and conflicted with the messages enforced by game-play and the images on screen. These flaws prevented me from being fully immersed in the games I played.

This coincided with my analyze and research of the general feeling in the game industry about the games they were creating. The first thing I noticed was frustration in many of the articles and blogs I read. The frustration was due to there inability to be accepted by the public and critics as creating art. I also saw that some in and out of the industry were striving towards an accepted art form through several different genres. While these chosen genres may work, I believe the simplest way to achieve this acceptance is through a well crafted story.

To put it more succinctly, the purpose of the this blog is to identify why story is so important to games. I'll do this with examples of when and where current and past game's stories fail, examples of games that do a good job of story-telling and other general observations about the games we play.

No comments:

Post a Comment